Hebrews 6:15
Hebrews 6:15
Abraham and the promise
Many commentators suggest that this verse applies to the early promise God made to Abraham when He urged him to leave the Chaldean city of Ur and head for Canaan. At that time God told him, “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” Abraham certainly had to be patient to earn those promises for he had to wait for 25 years to have the son that would fulfil them. Having said all that, God did not accompany those promises with an oath so it’s not likely that these are what are being referred to here, in verse 15.
It seems more likely that Abraham’s name is being used as a metaphor for Israel, As their father, Abraham, must wait patiently to produce a son, so his descendants must wait patiently to see their family grow, their progeny develop into a nation, and eventually to begin to fulfil the promises described in the previous verse. In fact, we could say that this fulfilment is still happening today and it will continue until Israel has peace, has occupied the entire land that God has granted them, and Messiah is reigning as their Lord and King. Abraham still awaits this day, as do we! When we think about the Transfiguration of Jesus and the appearance of Moses and Elijah, it seems reasonable to assume that these saints of old were not only living beings but they also had a grasp of events in the world and were proving that Yeshua had their support and company as God’s plans were unfolding. Thus, Abraham still waits patiently for the ultimate fulfilment of the promises God made to him.
Comments
Post a Comment