Psalm 81:10

Psalm 81:10

I am the Lord your God

When God speaks, He doesn’t really need to repeat Himself. He speaks and He acts and there is no going back. Thus, it is unusual to hear Him duplicating His words, but today’s verse is a re-run of a statement He has made on numerous occasions and in different formats. “I am the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt.” 

·      Exodus 19:4-5 includes these words; “You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagle’s wings and brought you to myself.” 

·      Exodus 20:2-4 includes the words; “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.” 

·      Deuteronomy 4:15-20 includes the words; “But as for you, the Lord took you and brought you out of the iron-smelting furnace, out of Egypt, to be the people of his inheritance, as you now are.” 

These passages include injunctions not to worship idols or created things but to worship God alone. In today’s verse the people are also invited to open their mouths wide and God will fill them. In other words, He alone can provide all of their needs, as He had done on their journey to the Promised Land. 

This reminds me of so many New Testament passages that describe how we have been delivered and brought out of darkness into light. And in Philippians 4:19 Paul adds, “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus.” Nothing has changed! Hallelujah! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16