Psalm 108:13

Psalm 108:13

With God we will gain the victory

Psalm 144 begins: - “Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me.” From this text someone wrote a song called the “Battle Song” and the stirring tune made it one of my favourites to sing and play back in the days of “Scripture in Song!” 

We need to be reminded at times that “with God we will gain the victory, and He will trample down our enemies.” With Israel these enemies are identifiable, they are very real human forces and the conflict in the Middle East divides opinions and arouses emotions. Our God looks deeper than mere human armies and their weaponry, for behind every conflict there is a deeper and darker agenda. The forces of good and evil, and darkness and light, have been engaged in every human encounter throughout history, the wars and skirmishes between men are driven by spiritual powers and, thank God, in that arena He will always be victorious. True followers of Christ recognise that He has won the final victory, that sin and death and the Satan cannot triumph for the enemy’s powers were defeated at the cross. The Satan cannot destroy God’s world or the human race, he may think he is getting close, but the Lord has shown that He is the master of recreation and resurrection so that every victory for the enemy is a hollow one, He may kill our flesh, but he can never take away our life. 

Thus, be it an IDF soldier fighting for the defence of his land or an elderly believer in Christ, safely residing in an English Care Home, the same war is being waged and the same Lord God will trample down the enemy. As Paul writes in Romans 8, “If God is for us, who can be against us? ….. No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  What a way to end the Psalm! Hallelujah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 106:13

Psalm 51:4

Psalm 57:8