Psalm 105:8

Psalm 105:8

He remembers His covenant forever

The Covenant made with Abraham came in several parts. When God first called him, He told Abraham to “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” Genesis 12:1-2. That Covenant still stands and that is why Christians should be among those who have an affinity with the Jewish people today. That does not mean that we support everything they do or believe, but we do still accept their right to exist and to live in the land that God gave them. They are a primarily godless people today, bent on destroying their enemies, but they are also hated and despised by much of the world’s population, it all goes back to their affinity with the Lord our God, the Lord they have resisted for centuries. The same Lord who will never give up on them. 

The Covenant with Abraham continues in Genesis 15 where God promises the land of Canaan to him and to his descendants, it is God’s land, but He gave it to Abraham. In Genesis 17:3-8, the Covenant promises are expanded with the Lord saying to Abraham, “You will be the father of many nations …. I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. The whole land of Canaan, where you now reside as a foreigner, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.” It is in the light of all of this that we have to support the rights of the Jewish people, not only to exist but to have full access to the land that God gave them. 

As Christians we too are undeserving inheritors of God’s promises, our Promised Land is heavenly; the Jews are earthly but that does not give us the right to persecute or resist them, as the Church has consistently done over the centuries. In fact, this is an incredible time to be alive, to see the re-emergence of the state of Israel after 2,000 years of extinction. We are witnesses to the truth of Psalm 105:8 that God “remembers His covenant forever, the promise He made for a thousand generations.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16