Psalm 91:2

Psalm 91:2

He is my fortress

How can the Lord be our refuge if we cannot see Him and He is not a physical presence? In 2 Samuel 22:2-3 David uses a collection of words to describe the Lord God that are all metaphors for Him; “The Lord is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my saviour.” These words obviously describe the ways in which David had experienced the protection, love, care and guidance of the Lord. Instead of physical locations and constructions, he finds that in depending on the Lord God He is able to find equivalent support and help, when he needs it.

So, when we are afraid and powerless and being pursued by our enemies, we need somewhere to hide up. The Lord says, “Come to me. I will hide you and protect you and keep you safe.” When we are embattled and surrounded by fearsome forces, the Lord says, “Come to me, take cover in my battlements and you will be safe. Regain your strength and together, we will find a way to defeat your enemies. Any enemy of yours is an enemy on mine too.”

This refuge and fortress is the God in whom we trust and this is the crux of the argument. If we trust in ourselves, in our own intelligence, strength and abilities, we will not need the refuge and fortress that the Lord provides. If we trust in human resources, strength, numbers and abilities, we will not need the Lord God either. It is those who trust in Him and Him alone who discover the amazing, overwhelming protection and care that He can provide. Hallelujah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16