Psalm 89:47

Psalm 89:47

Time is short

There is a rich vein of truth that underlies this verse for it helps us to gain a right perspective of our lives and also of the Lord God. David captured the heart cry here when he wrote, in Psalm 39:4-6, “Show me, Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is. You have made my days a mere handsbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure. Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom; in vain they rush about, heaping up wealth without knowing whose it will finally be.”

How many plans do we have that can never be fulfilled? How many dreams that will lie dormant because we ran out of time? How many “things” have we accumulated around us that will one day lie useless and unused, ready to be dumped on the scrapheap? As I grow older, I have a growing realisation that in every area of life the clock is ticking, there may not be time, even to complete the Bible study that burns in my heart. We are but human, our powers are limited, and death beckons even though we give it no thought in our younger years. With that awareness comes a deepening recognition of our dependence upon the Lord and that He is involved in the affairs of the whole world, our time here is but preparation for what is to come. Time and again I am drawn to the illustration of the unborn baby that has no consciousness of what lies beyond but every day is being prepared to be delivered into a world that is full of unimaginable colour and sounds and wonder. That is all our life on earth is, a preparation for the life that is to come. How foolish we are to spend so much time and energy on maintaining a comfortable existence in something that is so temporary!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16