Psalm 84:8

Psalm 84:8

The imperatives

The psalm writer here is giving a command, in English grammar we call this an imperative. In many of the psalms the imperative is preceded by a call to “arise.” In other words, the psalmists have the nerve to command God to “get up” and “get moving!” Bearing in mind that the psalms were written in a poetic format, there are two imperatives in this verse and two titles for God are also used:-

“Hear my prayer, Lord God Almighty.”

“Listen to me. God of Jacob.”

I don’t know about you but I’m squirming just a little here; firstly, how dare anyone issue a command to God, not just once but twice, and secondly how dare they use two different addresses? Is that a way of hedging your bets? “If He doesn’t answer to the first name, I’ll try another one!”

Whatever the justification, the language shows how desperate the writer is and how frustrated and empty his estrangement from Zion has made him. I wonder if we are that anguished when distanced from the Lord? I’m sure that He hears our prayers even when they are just plaintive whispers, so what’s the point in hiding our feelings? Let’s always respect Him but if our hearts are burning within us, there’s little point in pretence, tell Him as it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16