Psalm 79:4

Psalm 79:4

Objects of contempt

Even as I write these words there is abundant evidence that the contempt in which Israel was held in 600BC is no different to the scorn and derision with which they are viewed today. Arab nations scoff at them, and the wider world turns a blind eye to antisemitism. Meanwhile the land of Israel prospers, the crops are abundant, the economy grows rapidly, the IDF continue to be the most adept military force in the world and Israel continues to bless the world through the media, the arts, science, finance, medical research, entertainment, engineering et al. The list is endless and yet no one wonders why! Innumerable attempts have been made to destroy these people, but they are still with us. Empires, democracies and dictatorships have all prospered and sought to remove the Jews but where are they today? Where are the empires of the Egyptians, the Assyrians, the Medes and Persians, the Greeks, the Romans, the Byzantines, the Mamluks, the Ottomans, the Nazis and the British? All gone, but the Jews remain. 

The descendant of Asaph wrote this Psalm at a time of great trouble for his people. Babylon completely overwhelmed them and destroyed their heritage, but he need not have worried, God still had a plan. He always has a plan and part of that plan is that Israel and the Jews will survive, whatever the odds. They will always be hated and misunderstood, because they have borne God’s name and His Word in a pagan world. Paul puts it this way:

Romans 9:1 I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it through the Holy Spirit— I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race, the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption to sonship; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised. Amen.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16