Psalm 78:33

Psalm 78:33

He ended their days in futility

As you will know, 12 spies were sent by Moses to evaluate the land beyond the Jordan and to report back on its fertility, the nature of the nations in occupation, the logistics of conquest and Canaan’s suitability as their homeland. The spies came back to the camp and reported their findings to Moses and Aaron and all the people. As you will also know, 10 spies thought the task of conquering the Land was too great and the obstacles insurmountable, only two spoke in favour. Caleb and Joshua believed it could be done – with God’s help! 

The people listened to the negatives, and they saw only doom and disaster and pleaded to go back to Egypt. They then plotted to stone Moses and Aaron, until God intervened. It was Moses’ turn to plead, this time for the preservation of the people from the anger of the Lord. Eventually God promised to forgive the nation but then He uttered these ominous words: - 

I have forgiven them, as you asked. Nevertheless, as surely as I live and as surely as the glory of the Lord fills the whole earth, not one of those who saw my glory and the signs I performed in Egypt and in the wilderness but who disobeyed me and tested me ten times— not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their ancestors. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it. But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it.” Numbers 14:20-24.

“And so He ended their days in futility and their years in terror.” Is it possible that unbelief and fear, and an unwillingness to keep following the Lord could be why some older Christians lose their zeal and the faith, and instead of pressing on, they opt for comfort in the wilderness rather than confrontation in the Land of Promise? They end their days in futility. Moses and Caleb were old men but they never gave up the fight, they never retired, they never considered themselves worthy of an easier life, they kept going until they dropped! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16