Psalm 75:1a

Psalm 75:1a

Your Name is near

This Psalm, like its predecessor, is attributed to Asaph or a member of his Levitical family. It may have been written when the kingdom was under threat from Assyria. The Psalm begins and ends with praise and contains reassurance from heaven and a triumphant response from earth. It could so easily have been composed against the backdrop of modern history and the occasions when the security of the land is threatened.

 

v1        The central thought in this verse celebrates the fact that God’s Name is near. What is this Name and how can it be near? 

God said to Moses at the burning bush, “I AM WHO I AM”. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: “I AM has sent me to you.” God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, The Lord, the God of your fathers – the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob -has sent me to you. This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation.” Exodus 3:14-15.

It can hardly be put more clearly, can it? “I AM WHO I AM” is the sacred Name by which God chose to be known in Israel. His Name encompasses His character and the ways in which He reveals Himself to His people. The Hebrew words here are “Ehye Aser Ehye” which literally means, “I will become what I choose to become” or “I am what I Am” or “I create whatever I create” or “I am the existing One.” 

The Bible exhorts us to call upon His Name and the Lord protects and provides by His Name. Salvation is found in His Name, and we can trust in His Name, hope in His Name and sing praises to His Name. As a consequence, we must love His Name but also fear His Name! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16