Psalm 66:10

Psalm 66:10

For you, God, tested us

It’s one thing to praise God for His deliverance, preservation and provision in our lives. Perhaps we can recount occasions when we have been kept from danger as yesterday’s verse reminded us. But testing? Who wants testing? The statement, “For you, God, tested us” is one that we may not have considered. It suggests that, on the one hand, the Lord is watching over us and deliberately intervening when we are in danger, on the other hand He allows us to face difficulties and trials in order to test us! So, the good things that happen are down to Him, but the bad things may also be under His watch? If this is true, then everything that happens is subject to divine control and planning be it good or bad. Is that correct? Yes it is if we are walking humbly with Him and are purposed to obey His will. 

My wife recently suffered a health scare caused by a pulmonary embolism (a clot on her lungs). It was enough to get me praying for hours and for two days we both were severely tested. The incident caused us to have a hard look at ourselves and to make major changes to our working lives. I can now testify that we were being refined, like silver, and are the richer for it. God was in that experience just as much as He has been with us in the good things that have happened. He is with us and watching over us at all times and we can praise Him regardless of whether life appears to be going well or badly. As the Apostle Paul rightly said, I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Phil 4:11-13.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16