Psalm 59:4

Psalm 59:4

Arise to help me, Lord

We commented, yesterday, on how the Satan hates those who do good and who live lives of faithfulness, integrity, kindness and love. It’s extraordinary how much trouble can be caused by doing what is right, by obeying the voice of the Holy Spirit and by seeking to serve others. Sometimes the attacks come from the most unlikely of sources, from people close to us and even from those who we are trying to help. We can imagine David wringing his hands in desperation as he writes these words. I wonder if he sometimes turned the clock back and wished that he had stayed as a shepherd, guarding his flock; an unknown, humble farmer whose only hassles were caused by wild beasts and unruly sheep. Since the anointing by Samuel and the promise of the kingdom, he had been hounded and vilified and yet in all of this he was innocent! 

There are some Psalms when David retreats deeper into self-pity and defeatism, but this is not one of those occasions. Despite all that is happening and the desperate nature of his plight he turns once again to the Lord and asks for help. This is so important. We have a choice when situations like this unfold around us. Do we write “Woe is me” songs or do we hand the situation over to God and ask Him to intervene? “Lord, turn and look at me. Look at all that is happening. See the danger that I am in. Notice how I am innocent and yet constantly vilified by those around me. Look at me Lord. Come and help me. Who else do I have but You?” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 106:13

Psalm 51:4

Psalm 57:8