Psalm 49:5-6

Psalm 49:5-6

Boasting in wealth

A rather twee song of my youth began, “Why should I fear if the sun doesn’t shine, Jesus is mine, all of the time. Why should I fear if the storm clouds are low, Jesus is with me I know!” I think this Psalm probably puts it better, but the sentiment is the same! The problem here are the wicked deceivers who do not fear God but trust in their riches; so wealthy are they, that they constantly boast about their prosperity and abundance. The reason that such people are wicked deceivers is that everything they do and say speaks about where their heart is. “Look at me. Look at how successful I am. Look at my house, my car, my clothes, my holidays, my leisure time, my Bank Balance. I am somebody. This is how you gain power and influence in the world.” Sadly, the world agrees and divides itself up into those who have it all – the deceivers, and those who have little – the deceived. Power and position can only be bought by wealth in our world, the Presidents of the US, for example, can only gain that role by having access to millions of dollars. And we kid ourselves that they are democratically elected! Most of the world’s conflicts are about money and control of resources and the media promotes those who have them, this is deemed to be success. 

So, what do we learn from this? Simply, that we should never, as believers, put our trust in what we own. If our earthly possessions are our security, then we cannot say that we are trusting in God. Such an attitude is so different to the world that, in our culture, few pursue it. I speak to myself; can I say that I will not fear when evil days come and wicked deceivers surround me?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16