Psalm 49:3

Psalm 49:3

Words of wisdom

The Hebrew Scriptures are divided into three major groupings. The Law (Torah), The Prophets (former and latter) and The Writings. This latter category includes the Psalms and the Books of Wisdom. Some Psalms are regarded as “Wisdom” and this is one of them. The Son of Korah sets himself up to “speak words of wisdom; the meditation of my heart will give you understanding.” It was Jesus who said, “the mouth speaks what the heart is full of” (Matthew 12:34) and the author here has meditated a great deal on the matters he is about to address. 

It is a beautiful thing to be constantly meditating on the Word of God, be it a passage or a subject or theme. Teachers of the Word often find themselves thinking of little else as they try to understand what the Lord is saying so that they may pass this on to others. Our constant goal is that those who hear may gain understanding. As a young preacher / teacher I gained almost everything I learned from the writings and thoughts of others. Now I am older I have learned to meditate, to think for myself and to try to discern what the Holy Spirit is saying. I urge you to do the same, to take time to listen, to ponder, to digest the Word so that you may give others understanding too. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16