Psalm 41:3

Psalm 41:3

The Lord sustains

There are further signs here that the king’s health is improving! If you recall, Psalm 38 is full of woe and desperation. David is at his lowest ebb; “There is no health in my body – I am feeble and utterly crushed – my strength fails me and the light has gone from my eyes – my pain is ever with me.” But here in Psalm 41 he can testify that the Lord has sustained him on his sickbed and that the Lord restores from the bed of illness. You just get the feeling that life is becoming a little more positive and that he now believes he will recover. 

As I write, this is a dark and difficult time for many as we are in the midst of the Covid pandemic. Many will have taken to their sick beds and wondered if they will ever recover. Some have not. Of course, the battle with sickness and death is not exclusively caused by a virus, millions of people have faced the grasping tentacles of the grave and in fact we must all do this eventually. That is why these Psalms of David are so important; when there is no one else to cry out to, when the medical experts can do no more, when the darkness of the grave looms large there is still hope. David knew this, and although he complained bitterly at times, he still had hope, there was still someone to complain to! When you and I are faced with the ultimate challenge let us thank God that we are not alone and that our Good Shepherd will walk with us through the valley of the shadow of death. And even if it is time to leave this world, what lies beyond is absolutely amazing and will make life on earth seem like a bad dream. Until then we will praise the Lord who sustains us from our bed of sickness. Hallelujah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16