Psalm 40:14

Psalm 40:14

May my enemies be put to shame

This is a bold request! I mean, you have to be pretty sure of your own standing before you start to plead with God to intervene against your adversaries. So, I think we can say that David has made some recovery in his thinking and that it is now time to turn the tables on those who have opposed him. Stop and think about this for a moment; we’ve all had enemies, or at least people who have opposed our position or authority or reputation. Some have done this out of jealousy or spite, others in order to gain power for themselves. Whatever the cause, you have to be pretty sure that you are in the right place if you are going to get God to fight for you! You also need to be able to justify yourself righteously if you are going to plead for the actions and words of your enemies to rebound on them. I’m asking myself right now if I can do this. There have been people who have opposed me, although I’m not sure they wanted me dead, but they caused a great deal of upset and anxiety, dare I pray, “May they be put to shame and confusion, may they be turned back in disgrace.”  

If this verse teaches us anything it is to make sure we are right before God at all times, that we can justify who we are and what we are and then, and only then, can we dare to look at those who surround us and ask that we should be vindicated and the opposition be silenced. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16