Psalm 39:4

Psalm 39:4

Show me Lord!

Continuing on from verses 2-3, here is the heart cry of a very sick man. It is human nature isn’t it, when things are going well and we are in the best of health, we don’t really want to know when our life is going to end? However, if it feels as if we are already on our deathbed and we have nothing to lose, then we might cry out “How long have I got?” As I write this the last thing I want to know from the Lord is my life’s end and the number of my days. It might not be good news! In truth life is and has been very fleeting. It is very difficult to put into perspective. Were those years of childhood freedom really me? Was that time in my twenties when I thought I could do anything – really me? Some of the events of my past seem like dreams, whole decades sped by and now old age beckons; what was it all about? 

For the Christian who follows Christ there is another completely different viewpoint. This world is a mess. The News only gets worse day by day. The aches and pains and vulnerabilities of old age are not something to look forward to, so what is the allure of wanting to live longer and longer? We have a better place to go to, a place free of pain and tears, a mansion in heaven, a marriage supper and a life here on earth when we come to reign with Christ. The Apostle Paul had the right idea, “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labour for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.” Philippians 1:21-24.

I read a good quote recently that seems to fit in here: -

The closest a Christian will get to hell is here on earth

The closest an unbeliever will get to heaven is here on earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16