Psalm 38:16

Psalm 38:16

Don't allow the wicked to gloat

The nature of the Psalm is changing somewhat. The previous verses are a torturous outpouring of woe and self-pity. To be fair, David can hardly be blamed, who would not be miserable in his situation? But now the tone has changed, the beleaguered king has obviously given some thought to his predicament, and although he believes his woes are caused by his own sin, he can also see a glimmer of light in the darkness. That statement in the previous verse is the beginning of the way back, “Lord, I wait for you; You will answer, Lord my God.”  So, the Lord is still somewhere in the picture. He will answer the cries of a helpless, repentant sinner. At some point David had already pleaded with the Lord that if he faltered, if he made a mess of being king, if he committed some heinous sin, if he exposed his weakness to the world then, “Lord do not let my enemies gloat over me, please don’t let them be exalted as a consequence of my failure.”

I wonder if we could be that candid with the Lord or even that honest with ourselves. “Lord even though I have failed and let you down, and even though I am suffering with my shame, please do not let the wicked prosper because of this. Please do not let them have cause to gloat at my downfall.” You see, even if we have been brought low by our own stupidity and weakness, it shows some character to plead with God that the wicked do not benefit from it.! I’m not sure that I have prayed like that, have you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16