Psalm 26:12

 

Psalm 26:12  

 “My feet stand on level ground!”

   There is an extraordinary prophecy of comfort to God’s people in Isaiah 40. Verses 3-5 speak of representatives being sent to clear the way for an important visitor. The obvious analogy is that of John the Baptist preparing the way for Jesus. The job entails levelling the rough ground and making the rugged places a plain. But the passage goes further, when the Messiah comes to Jerusalem, the valleys will be lifted up and the mountains and hills will be made low. 

Our journey through life is often an uphill struggle, there are many obstacles and difficulties to be overcome. BUT! The Lord Jesus reaches down and lifts us up and there are times when we stand on level ground; no more rocks, no more stumbling, no more sheer drops, no chance of falling, we are, for the moment, in a safe place. David had this sense of well-being as he stood amongst the crowds in the presence of the Lord before the Tent of Meeting and worshipped. This was a safe place; this was where he belonged, for he was in the presence of His God. We can aid the process by making level ground for our own feet! There are inevitable valleys and scrambles along the journey of life but too often we cause our own difficulties; - a wrong turn, a deliberate risk taken, dependence on an unhelpful aid, faulty equipment. All of these diversions inevitably keep us struggling but if we live right, as David suggests in this Psalm, we will experience the joy and security of level ground. Hallelujah! 

 

Thank You Lord for showing me how to live before You, how to avoid danger and how to keep myself from harm. I love the house where You live, I love Your Word, Your comforting presence and Your people. May I know the stability of level ground, of what it means to be safe and secure so that, whatever happens to me, I shall not be afraid. Keep me from evil, keep me from evil-doers, keep me close to You, my God, my Father. Amen.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16