Psalm 22:14-15 
Poured out like water
      The suffering of Calvary continues and now we are confronted with the physical torture that Jesus endured. He has faced the silence of His Father. He has experienced the desertion of His friends. He has heard the taunts of the mob around Him and the screams of the demon spirits. All of this was part of His ordeal and yet, too often, we think only of His physical pain. Yes it was, very much a physical ordeal, how can anyone begin to comprehend what a man is going through when He says, “I am poured out like water, all my bones are out of joint, my heart has turned to wax, it has melted within me. My mouth is dried up like a piece of broken pottery and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth?”I’m afraid I find myself unable to offer insight into what that kind of suffering might mean. Maybe those who have experienced such immense suffering never came back to tell the tale and Jesus had to undergo this in order to be able to say that He was tested in every way as we are? Hebrews 4:15. All suffering brings temptation, not least to end our lives to escape from it. Jesus did not fall into that temptation because we read, “You lay me in the dust of death.” In other words, He will not submit to the torture, He will not meekly turn from the agonies or surrender to their demands for He must endure until the Father’s will has been done. He went through all of that for you and for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16