Psalm7:17     
Give thanks
                   I don’t know about you but thoughts of God’s wrath cause me to stop and consider my own walk and to earnestly seek to earn God’s favour not His judgements. We know, of course, that through Christ Jesus the wrath of God has been appeased at the cross. The songwriter Stuart Townend expresses this so well: -

In Christ alone! - who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live.

The Psalm writer David must have caught a fragrant whiff of this truth for at the end of his song he is able to say, with us, “I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High.” Can we fully appreciate this incredible truth that, because of Jesus, we will not bear the punishment for our sins in this life or the next one? That we are freed from the divine Court of Justice and its consequences and have no cause to fear God’s wrath. We are freed from the death sentence and freed from heavenly anger, liberated to enjoy grace and love. Is there any greater privilege? 

Thank You, Almighty God, for Your holiness and righteousness. Thank You that justice must and will have its way and that You display Your wrath every day. Thank You that no injustice goes unnoticed and that no crime will go unpunished. Thank You that the wickedness of evil men is being fairly rewarded and that all retribution belongs to You. Thank You that Your wrath against me was satisfied at the cross when every sin I have committed was laid on Your Son and My Lord, Jesus Christ. Thank You that by Your grace I am free from Your anger and divine reckoning. I am free!  Hallelujah. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 4:1 Smear campaigns

Psalm 74:16